Sunday 6 July 2008

What does a broccoli plant look like?

As a child, one of the things that we'd love to do in the summer was go strawberry picking. We'd all pile into the car with our own little plastic baskets and head off to the Yorkshire contryside to spend an hour or so trying not to get told off by some grumpy farmer for trampling all over his precious crops. We'd come back home tired, with red stains all over our t-shirts and knees and with baskets full of juicy fruit.

I was supposed to go into the office today to catch up with some work, but when I got a call from Sis#4 telling me that her and Sis#1 were going fruit picking, I couldn't resist.

Part of the fun of today was seeing how fruit and vegetables grow. I've always just gone into the supermarket whenever I want my fruit and veg. I couldn't tell you whether a courgette grows on a bush, or underground or on a tree. Nowadays, we're so far removed from the food production process that so many people have no idea how the things that we put in our bodies are made. It was amazing to actually pick our own peas and mange tout. We didn't have time to get round to the broccoli and cauliflower fields, so we're saving that for the next visit. In the meantime, I'm having a great time trying to imagine exactly how those things grow...

Find more pics here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home